Monday, September 25, 2006

The Downtown Dinner Experience

I remember when I first came to the University of Arizona. I was an RA in Coronado Hall and on the first day of training, I had been in Tucson for about three hours. I had no clue where to go for something to eat or even what there was to eat in Tucson. Luckily, my staff had all made plans to eat after training was done for the night. So, I jumped in a car with about four other RAs and we were off. On the short drive over, they kept telling me that I would love this place and how cheap the food was.

They couldn't have been more right. Bison Witches (326 N. 4th Ave., 520-740-1541) quickly became my favorite place to eat in Tucson when I wanted a hot, delicious, and inexpensive meal that was within walking distance from campus. This restaurant serves the biggest sandwiches known to man, massive bread bowls of soup, and lots of good beer all at a low price. What more could I ask for?

Recently, my girlfriend and I had the longest day of classes and work possible. We were ragged, tired, and extremely hungry. We especially didn't want to spend the time to make a meal either. So, we decided to wander down 4th Ave. to get us a fix of Bison Witches and it was definitely needed.

When we walked in, we were happy to find we just missed the dinner rush and were able to find a table easily. Normally, Bison Witches is packed full of the downtown crowd and college students. The restaurant is very small, considering the location and half of the interior is taken up by a massive bar. Around the bar are many televisions playing the various sporting events that were being broadcast on ESPN. It normally is dimly lit inside, with most of the light coming from the refrigerators at the bar, and the jukebox is blasting classic rock hits such as “Highway to Hell” and “Brown Sugar.”

What I love about Bison Witches is the menu. You can either get sandwiches, soup, or both. They also have appetizers as well. It's simple and easy to read. The sandwich choices are amazing too with plenty of different choices. What I do every time I go there is get the half sandwich and soup meal. No matter which sandwich or soup choice you get, the order is $6.50, which is the price for most of the full sandwiches on the menu. Considering the bread that comes on the sandwich is enormous and the bread bowl is also huge, you can't beat this deal. Hence, my girlfriend and I both went for this deal.

Breanne chose the “Hawaiian Chicken” sandwich with the “Cream of Broccoli” bread bowl. The Hawaiian Chicken sandwich is made up of “two 4oz. oven baked chicken breasts that are topped with pineapple slices, melted provolone cheese, and shredded lettuce” while the Cream of Broccoli is described as “a light and delicate soup loaded with bits of broccoli, cheese, and spices.” I ordered the Corned Beef after my amazing experience with it at the Auld Dubliner and the Boston Clam Chowder bread bowl. The Corned Beef is “lean and tender, thin sliced corn beef is paired with spicy deli mustard, topped with melted Swiss cheese and is served on bakery fresh rye bread” and the Boston Clam Chowder has “fresh diced clams in a New England style chowder loaded with bits of celery and chunks of potato.” Bre stuck with water while I ordered a Shiner Hefeweizen, which was only $1 since it was a Thursday and they have deals on beer every night of the week.

The waitress lit up as Bre ordered her Hawaiian Chicken because it comes with a side of BBQ sauce that the waitress said she could eat “every day and not get tired of.” We got really excited about that and waited for our meal. Like I said, we beat the dinner crowd coming in and our meal was made quickly. Bre's sandwich was very bright with the pineapples and like the waitress said, the BBQ was very delicious, but not to the point where we'd want to eat it every day. My sandwich was also amazing with the soft rye bread mixing with the delicately cut pieces of corned beef perfectly. Both of our soups were hot and delicious as well. The Arizona Poore Brothers chips that came with both of our meals rounded out a perfect meal that helped us rejuvenate from the long week.


Synopsis: Bison Witches is a staple in the U of A community due to its proximity to campus and its ability to churn out quality food and beer for a very reasonable price. If you're in Tucson looking for a cheap meal that will satisfy, this is the place to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home