Monday, November 06, 2006

Rosa's is Remarkable









I remember when I moved to Tucson from Fairbanks, AK in 2004 that I couldn't wait to try authentic Mexican food. Everybody who had been to the city had told me the food in South Tucson rivals all other Mexican cuisine in the country and they were right. Restaurants such as Mi Nidito (1813 S. Fourth Ave.) and Guerro Canelo (5201 S. 12th Ave.) are consistently good, but there is one problem. From the campus, South Tucson restaurants are a good distance for me to drive to and it makes for a longer evening that I'd prefer, since I have the sleeping habits of an 80 year old man.

However, my girlfriend Breanne and I have found the perfect Mexican restaurant that is very close to campus that has fast service and some of the best tacos, enchiladas, and tosadas this side of the border. That restaurant is Rosa's Mexican Food (1750 E Fort Lowell Rd., 520-325-0362) and it quickly has become one of our favorite standbys.

I found out about Rosa's through my girlfriend's sister, Courtney, and her boyfriend, Chris. They both recommended the place after eating there with his parents over a weekend. Courtney went so far to say she could eat there every day and be happy. With that strong of praise, it was only a matter of time before Breanne and I worked our way uptown to see what the deal is with this place.

Located in a strip mall surrounded by a Blockbuster, Rosa's is not in the most scenic area of Tucson. However, the inside of the restaurant is bright and colorful with the walls painted in beaming shades of blues, pink, and yellow. Amazingly, the restaurant is always packed full of people, no matter what time of day it is and everybody who works there is speaking Spanish fluently at each other. This is definitely an authentic Mexican restaurant.

After being quickly seated, a big bowl full of chips and salsa was delivered to our table as Breanne and I ordered two iced teas. The chips, as they should be, were warm, crisp, and not overly salty. However, the highlight of this was the salsa. I swear this is some of the best salsa I have ever had and promise to buy a pint of it ($4.95) before I move from Tucson. The amazing flavors of cilantro with a strong tomato base make this, if not anything else, a reason to keep coming back.

Needless to say, the chips quickly disappeared as we received our drinks and then ordered our meals. Breanne ordered the #5, which is a plate of one cheese enchilada, a shredded beef taco, a beef tamale, and rice and beans ($8.00). I decided on the #4, which is two cheese enchiladas, a chicken taco, and beans($7.50). Our waiter left, but not after leaving us with another helping of our favorite chips and salsa.

Within 10 minutes, our food had arrived on scorching hot plates. I was so impressed with the speed our food was cooked and brought to us, but not as impressed as I was with the way the food tasted. The beans were made just right with no burnt or charred pieces at all. My taco was delicious, yet very simple as well as my cheese enchiladas. They also accidentally gave me three enchiladas, which I can't complain about, considering how delicious they were.

Breanne's dish was also gigantic and just as delicious. The shredded beef could almost melt in your mouth! Breanne's palate is also very sensitive and she doesn't like overly spicy meals, but Rosa's never upsets her.

Synopsis: If you don't want to drive 30 minutes out of your way for a meal in South Tucson, Rosa's easily can fulfill that desire for a good and hot Mexican meal that only Tucson can offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home