Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Inexpensive Indian

I crave and live for Indian food.

I love the mix of spices and ability to eat cheaply, but still in quantities like a king. The curries and herbs warm me up and keep me satisfied. I could eat Indian food every day, especially when I'm sick to help me sweat the fever out. Because of this love, I definitely have done my fair amount of searching for the perfect Indian restaurant in Tucson. I have had my fill of mediocre tandoori and bland creamed spinach. But I have found the perfect restaurant for you to try if you like Indian or even just a good cheap meal that will stick to you for the rest of the day.

Readers, colleagues, and friends...go eat at Gandhi Cuisine of India (150 W. Fort Lowell Rd., 520-292-1738).

My girlfriend Breanne and I went over to Gandhi this past week after I had been in Chicago all weekend for job interviews. I knew I needed a solid meal to help me recover from the plane flights and the stressful time of being able to say the correct answers in the interviews. The drive to Gandhi from campus is fairly short, which is always a good thing, but the restaurant is easy to miss. Gandhi is in a strip mall that is tucked away from the street, which makes it hard to find. I highly suggest watching closely and not speeding around trying to find it because you may zoom right past and miss the amazing food waiting inside.

Once inside, you'll notice the entire staff is Indian and are all very helpful. They are constantly filling your water glasses and asking if you need anything. I love the service here because they really make you feel like you're wanted and not just a customer. After looking over the menu, Breanne decided on the Tikka Saag ($7.95), which is tandoori boneless chicken with creamed spinach. I chose the Margh Makhani ($7.95) that consists of tandoori chicken in a tomato butter sauce. Both our dishes came with basmati rice, raita, katchumber, cantaloupe, and a slice of orange. We also ordered a basket of naan bread to help us sop up the incredible sauces.

Within minutes, our food arrived piping hot. Breanne's was wonderful and not overwhelmingly hot with the tandoori chicken blending perfectly with the spinach. Mine was also incredible with the tangy tomato sauce blended perfectly with the soft and perfectly spiced chicken. The rice and raiti always compliment every Indian dish well and Gandhi knows how to make these to perfection. The orange at the end always refreshes and leaves Breanne and I very satisfied.

Synopsis: Gandhi is the definitive Indian restaurant in Tucson. Stop reading this and go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home